Wednesday, September 16, 2009

All You Need Is...



The above message was slipped under the bathroom door this morning by my daughter, Sweet Pea, while I was shaving. She usually isn't up that early, so it was a bit of a surprise. When I had finished I opened the door, and she gave me a great big hug and told me I was the best daddy in the whole wide world.

Not a bad way to start your day.

I once read a definition of a daughter as "The one woman in your life who will love you totally and not try to change you." I can kind of understand that.

Of course, this is the same daughter who over the weekend, after being called out for taunting her brother, was crying and yelling at us at the top of her lungs "I hate you. You don't love me. You always yell at me. I'm going to leave and find new parents who will love me." (Note-she defines "yelling at her" as any comment that uses even a slightly disapproving tone of voice)

I think I'm going to have to "store" the memory of days like this, to get me through her puberty.

6 comments:

K said...

Wow, what more can a dad ask for?

Niksmom said...

Better yet...just frame that note along with a copy of this blog post!

Liz Ditz said...

Awwww.

I found some of my daughter's notes from 1st grade recently. What treasures.

Totally non-related: How did the garden grow?

Casdok said...

Simply beautiful!

Corrie Howe said...

Agree that it is moments like these which can get you through all the days like you mentioned after.

Daisy said...

Oh, puberty. You don't want to know.
I think I still have the note La Petite wrote when she was 3: it said "NONONONONONONONODAD."