Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Weighty Issues



Sell the house and move to another school district?

Quit my job and move across the country?

Start some new therapy?

No.

It's all about me, today. I need to lose some weight. I am 5'10" tall (177.8 cm), and weigh 210 lbs. (95 kg), as of this morning. I've been as high as 213 recently, but haven't been able to consistently take off any weight. I'm not sure, but it may have something to do with the candy dish at work that's filled with M&M's (and sometimes other really good chocolate).

In high school I weighed between 180 and 185 when I was on the cross country team. I actually feel and look pretty good at 190 (especially since I've put on some muscle with weight training). Right now, I'd be happy to be down to 195, which I haven't seen in a while.

I'm setting a goal to get down to 195 lbs. So now the question is, how do I go about doing it?

Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, personal trainer, what? From these main stream choices, I could quickly devolve into such things as diet pills, the juice fast diet, and magnet therapy. Indeed, a Google search for "quick weight loss" returned 3,400,000 hits in .08 seconds. I love the internet. It appears that weight loss may be the only area that surpasses autism in numbers of quack treatments (I had to put something about autism in here today).

Well, after scrolling thru a few pages of these selections, I've decided to make up my own diet. I'm going to call it the Ph.D diet.

The WHAT?

It stands for the "Public Humiliation Diet".

In addition to any other posts I make in this blog, somewhere in the blog (I think I'll put it at the bottom) I'll post my weight for that day.

Of course, I could just go and get myself magnets and some diet pills, but I think we'll try this first.

Joe is 210

3 comments:

Daisy said...

Good luck! My husband thinks he wants to do Atkins. If he does, I'll join him. I don't know if I'm as gutsy as you -- posting a daily weight on the blog!

kristina said...

There's always the "chasing after the kid running really fast down the street" exercise (though I don't seem to have to do it so much of late).

Club 166 said...

We used to have those exercises all the time.

Buddy Boy thought it was a game to try to lose us. Museums, festivals, parks, aquariums. Disney World. For a while I contemplated getting a GPS wristband for him. No venue was too big or too small (Disney was the best at efficiency in finding kids).

Fortunately, that also has abated for us, too.

It's funny how you never can say on any one given day, "Glad we're done with that!". But often you can look back and say "Remember all the stuff we dealt with last year that doesn't happen nearly as often anymore?".

There's so much goodness happening around us all the time.